Friday, August 21, 2009

raine's first week

The first week of school - by all available accounts - went well. Raine likes her first grade teacher, which is a plus. Not a guarantee of work completed or good behavior, but a plus non-the-less. Her good friend from Kindergarten is in her class again this year, which is also a plus. I think she grew some more in the past week or so, too.

Really, it is interesting and encouraging to notice the differences and the maturing that has occurred over the past year. Last year, I had to wake her up every morning with pokes and tickles and even occasionally threats of no games. This year, we are working on a transition to an alarm clock. I take in a timer and set it for 10 minutes which she must get up and turn off. I talk to her when I go in, to kind of get the waking up on the road. So far, the timer has only gone off once. She's just been getting up and getting started.

Last year, she picked her clothes, and even though she was perfectly capable of dressing herself, I "had to help" her put them on. This year, she's doing it all on here own, without - at least so far - an undue amount of stalling or dawdling. She's combing her hair (well, at least the front) and we are on our way in a very timely manner. Its been really nice. I'm getting on the road at a reasonable time, and getting to school when I need to, not at the last possible moment.

Oh, I know, it won't be this good ALL the time. It might not even be this good next week... but still, its me noticing my baby is growing up.

No comments: