Tuesday, June 15, 2010

dealing with the stuff

I went through a couple of boxes today. Good for me. It wasn't as difficult as it might have been, they were boxes of my folk's stuff. There was junk, thank goodness, easy to get rid of. There was some useful stuff as well, and also not hard to deal with. Then there were odds and ends of things. My mom was a list maker, an organizer. Mostly her lists were trash. Lists of things no longer had, in places that no longer are ours. There was a rough draft of a short autobiographical piece that she wrote. It wasn't intended for me, but I enjoyed reading through it. That could have been a hard thing, but it wasn't.

There was more stuff from my dad. The stuff that my step-mother kept when he passed away, and that we got after she passed last fall. Dad's jewelry, at least most of it. His harmonicas, stacks of dues cards for Eastern Star, Mason, Scottish Rite. Some jewelry that he'd made, some that was bits and pieces. His coin collection. Some are things that we will keep in remembrance, and others are not. Some of those that are not, still have value, but we don't know what that is, at the moment. So, now research, and finding out the value. Trying to find someone who wants it for a fair price. Absorbing the finding, and the losing, and the assimilation, and the various ends of the various items.

It is such a good thing to get through, but it is definitely not something I would want to do every day.

No comments: