Saturday, January 4, 2014

getting some love, and giving it back

This week has passed slowly, and through a haze of coughing, sneezing, using a box and more of tissue, and generally feeling pretty rotten. Yuck. I explored the line between sleep and awake, not always quite sure which side I was exploring from. I watched an episode of Downton Abbey, and then dreamed it over and over and over. When nothing else would do, I pulled out my Grannie quilt to snuggle under.

My Grannie made me this quilt when I was in my early teens, and every winter, from then on, it would go on my bed to snuggle under all winter long. This went on, winter after winter, until Ron and I got married, and moved to Colorado. Actually, the last time it was on the bed was the winter after we moved to Denver. I was pregnant with Raine, and we had only had Dixie a few months, and she chewed on the edges a bit, like a(n almost grown) puppy will do. I had no hard feelings. Much. But it did make me take a look at my beloved Grannie quilt. The years had taken their toll, and the fabrics had become thin and fragile in places. One square was rather shredded, and others had worn through her or there. So I carefully folded it up, and put it away. In Denver, we needed more serious quilts anyway.

Still there are times, like this week, when I pull that quilt out for a little extra love. We all have times like that, don't we? I even got to talk to Raine about how that quilt felt like snuggling in the love from my Grannie. It was a good moment, in a when-will-this-be-over week.

my Grannie quilt
The worst is over, though, and today I felt more - MUCH more - like myself. I didn't mind doing the laundry. In fact, after feeling like contagion for almost a week, laundry sounded like a wonderful idea. In went the sheets, and the towels, and all the regular stuff. And I really wanted to put that quilt in a load, too. But I just wasn't sure how well it would survive.

It was time to give some love back to it. I got out a needle and thread, and between loads, I mended here and there. I found a piece I could patch on top of the shredded square, which I did. There was, truthfully a lot of mending to be done. I know many people would have given me the opinion that it wasn't worth the time. The thread I used to mend was stronger than the fabric it was holding together.  I know it is. Still, I stitched, and finally got it done, and then washed, and dried. Then, I looked at the backing side. Ooops! still a little more mending to be done tomorrow. I don't mind.

I guess we do need some stinkin' patches...
Then my Grannie quilt goes back in the closet for me to pull out the next time I really need a little extra love.


Linda said...

Maybe once you've got the quilt mended you could make it into a wall hanging and be able to enjoy it more. I hope Raine appreciated the love that went into making that quilt made by her great great grandmother....

Dina said...

Yes, I think she did get it. It was a nice shared moment for us. I don't think it would survive as a wall hanging (the fabric really is pretty threadbare), and - honestly - it was meant to be used, and even if I only pull it out occasionally, I think that honors my granny, and her work on it.