Tuesday, October 30, 2012

not quite halloween...

We've got Raine's costume finished early this year. Last year we were madly glueing colored paper onto cardboard boxes for her minecraft guy. He sits in her room, like a suit of armor, and even gets played with, although not the whole thing, which was rather awkward to walk it. Also, she's taller now (her constant state) so the legs don't fit as well. Still, it was fun.

This year, she's already worn her costume to two costume parties. She's loving it, and I call it a success. Pictures tomorrow, and more Halloween stuff as well, I'm sure.

For today, I want to talk about books. Or at least one book. I'm reading 3 at the moment. Frankenstein because my students will be reading it soon. Seekers, with Raine (somewhat anthropomorphic bears) We're reading the first one together, even though she's all ready read it, and the second, and is working on the third now. Also, I'm almost all the way through Alibi Man by Tami Hoag. It really caught me up, and I have been enjoying that book! A strong, but wounded, smart and smart-ass, heroine really floats my boat. It doesn't hurt that the male lead respects - if not always appreciates - her for those qualities. The story is tight and well written, and leads you to one of several murder suspects, including one that the heroine really wants to be guilty, and the reader really wants to be guilty, and who may - or may not - BE guilty. There ARE other suspects, and soon they will sort out and I will be done. I'm thinking a trip to the used book store may be in order for more of Hoag's novels.

Yes, Fran, I'm sure you DID tell me so...

1 comment:

Fran said...

Actually, no. I've been meaning to read Hoag's books; I hear fabulous things about them. But I haven't yet, so it's good to get this report. It'll make selling them easier, so thanks!