Thursday, December 17, 2009

shopping talent

It may be a good thing for my budget, but I have limited talent and patience for shopping online. On the one hand there is so much out there! On the other hand, there is so much out there. Sometimes just thinking of something I might want to shop for, narrowing the possibilities, is overwhelming. I've been trying to think of a very cool gift for Raine this year, thinking I could shop online and... and.... and it just is too much. I don't even know where to start.

My other problem is that while you look at a picture of the item, and most often read a description, that really doesn't satisfy my shopping needs. I want to look at it up close. Pick it up and feel the heft, turn it around or upside down. Shopping should be visceral for me. All those pictures are more like looking at a long slide show of someone else's vacation. Even if they went somewhere you really want to go, their photos don't trigger the emotional/sensory memories for you that they do for them. Sigh.

Carl and Ron are wonderful online shoppers, Carl especially can find the coolest stuff to order. So I know it CAN be done. It can. Hmmm maybe when the 3-d comes? It will you know, but it still won't be tactile. Think they'll ever get that one done?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I hear you! It's like trying to buy fabric online. Yuck. It's almost impossible.

But. . .sitting at home with a computer does beat fighting those crowds, doesn't it?

No way to win, I'm afraid, but I bet you'll come up with something spiffy!