Wednesday, December 2, 2009

well, do I?

For the months of November, December and January, I'm serving in the local Pettit jury pool. That means about once a week I have the possibility of needing to go into court to see if I'm going to serve on a jury. Monday was one of those days, no problem, I didn't need to go in. Tomorrow is one of those days, too. Problem. (well, of course or I wouldn't be writing about it, would I...)

See, here's the deal. You call into their message phone the night before your assigned day and listen to the message so you know whether or not you need to show up, and what courtroom, and what time. Only this evening when I called, the message was for today. Yeah, the one that people yesterday needed. It says no one is needed. For today. As in Wednesday, December 2nd.

So, I ask myself and those around me, does that mean I don't need to go in tomorrow? Could they possibly have said the wrong day and time? (I mean it is only part of their job, getting these messages right) Argh. Then, the question is, do I just go in to work, call from there and maybe have to drive back into town right away? Do I hang out at home until the courts open so I can find out whether I need to go or not, then I'm late to work (although I've left a message with the principal about what happened all ready, and they have me down for a sub). What time does that court open anyway?

2 comments:

Fran said...

What a mess! I hope it all worked out, and that you didn't need to go in to jury duty, but decided to skip school since you had a sub anyway. . .

I'm bad. I admit it.

Dina said...

Well, about 8 AM, someone finally came in to work at the courthouse, and I'm sure as soon as she started listening to her messages, figured out the problem. It changed right about then, and there were no juries needed today.

Still, I was about half an hour late today, on a day we were supposed to be there early for a faculty meeting. Sigh.