Wednesday, February 17, 2010

e-book learning curve

So Ron did show me how to put an e-book on my little Walkman. I successfully downloaded a book, and then drag and drop it on the player. So, there was a nice success.

Now, here is the next part. I listened to the first 40 or so minutes of the book on the way to work, with no problem. Then... well, how do you save your place? If you aren't going to be gone long, you can hit the pause button. If you are going to be gone longer, the player shuts itself off. When you turn it back on, the book starts at the beginning again. Sigh. I figured out how to "fast forward" it (that is in quotation marks but it isn't very fast, really) but you have to continuously hold down the button while it counts off the seconds. Annoying enough when you are searching through 40 or so minutes of book, it would be daunting to have to run through 6 or 10 hours of a book. THEN, if that weren't enough, if you aren't careful, and you push the button in the wrong way, you've undone all that fast forwarding, and you are back at the beginning.

So, I don't know that I can save my spot on the Walkman. I sure wish I knew how. What would help? If these books were organized in chapters, that's what. I could scan through chapters, and start the one I stopped on, either from the beginning of the chapter, or even fast forward through some of it without taking too long.

Until I figure that out, it looks like e-books on the computer, or on the Walkman for road trips. Still, I'll like it then, too.

No comments: