Thursday, July 29, 2010

a bit of fry and laurie

Now that we have Netflicks, we can enjoy off the wall stuff, just like all those other people that did it before us and were so cool when we were not.

We got better.

Our latest disk is A Little Bit of Fry and Laurie, some sketch comedy done in the 80's by Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie. The latter you probably know as House, but he's been pretty well known in Britain in the comedy realm. The former is the host of QI, a British comedy quiz show, which is quite entertaining and you can look it up on youtube, and probably other places as well. They played together in the adaptation of Jeeves and Wooster and did so very well, indeed. If you haven't seen those, I really recommend them.

The sketch comedy? Eh, maybe not so much. They certainly aren't Monty Python, which I really love. They aren't really bad, either, though. Sketch comedy in and of itself doesn't always do it for me. I only watched a couple of seasons of Saturday Night Live, even, and that was Waaayyyy back with the original cast. I liked some SCTV, too. Just, I think, a little goes a long way for me. I hate when I have to decide, "Oh, THIS is supposed to be the funny bit," (pretty much why I tuned out of SNL). That usually means I didn't think it was all that funny. AH, well... you know the feeling too, I suppose. Still, they are quite entertaining if you are at all into sketch comedy.

No comments: