Tuesday, March 1, 2011

i got steam

Ron and I are going to a Steampunk convention this coming weekend. I'm really looking forward to it. I think it will be somewhere between a gaming convention and an SCA event (everyone will be in garb) with concerts thrown in.

Ron has been collecting and making gear for himself for over a year now, but I have not. So, of course I've decided to make some. Well, it isn't as easy as it sounds. For one thing, I have had to think about what exactly to make, and I finally decided on two outfits, one of which is now made, the other of which is not even cut out. Sigh. Anyway, I think I have the "steam" part. I'm pretty happy with the overalls I created, and the drop-yoke type peasant shirt I made to go with them. I've got some cool buttons almost finished to go on the overalls, and even a crocheted tam o'shanter almost completed to put the ensemble together.

Now, all I need is the punk. I'm not "dark" enough or "dramatic" enough. I doubt I'm "cool" enough to be good at punk. I don't care if my version isn't the same as everyone else's, and maybe that is part of my problem. I think I need more leather. And more metal. And more black fabric, maybe. Nah, not the fabric... that is in my second outfit. I feel like a trip to the flea market should be in order, here, but I just haven't gotten there.

Hopefully there will be ideas a plenty at the convention, and I can maybe even accessorize a little there. I'll be really happy if I can find some bits and pieces to put together for something. Pictures, I know, pictures...

1 comment:

Fran said...

Yes yes yes, pictures, yes yes yes!!!