Sunday, March 11, 2012

fans

One of the things that I hoped taking the Curves class would help me tackle are some fan quilt squares that my mom started. This weekend, for my sewing project, I pulled them out, and spread them around to see what was there, and ironed up several sets to start sewing them together.
getting into fan season

In the Curves class, one of the final projects was to make a circle quilt that is basically the same idea as a fan quilt, with the blocks creating a circle. That gave me the idea of what to make from Mom's fans. I'm going to put them together into mini quilts. Wall hangings. There are enough blocks cut out to make four or five of them. That is enough for each of her children, and each of her grandchildren.

When I made the log cabin quilt last summer, I was happy giving it away because that quilt was about process for me. I didn't expect to feel like I was sharing time with my mom, but I did, and that was a great bonus. This time, I hope I can share some of that time and memory and feeling with my brothers, my daughter and my niece. Maybe share some love through the generations while I'm at it.
Mom's blocks before ironing

I tackled two main groups this weekend, a set with solid orange-y rust (if that color looks familiar, it was a big part of the log cabin quilt, too), and a set with solid tans/browns. I got one block put together, and several more really close. I'm not exactly sure yet if they will go well into a circle, or whether they will need sashing between the squares after all, but I'm really looking forward to spending more time with them.

No comments: