Wednesday, March 17, 2010

moving and more good habits

We are having a walking week at school this week. Monday and Tuesday we traipsed to the library, today and tomorrow we're going to the computer lab. Big deal, I know you're thinking, but the Gadsden High School campus is fairly large, with 4 main buildings, and probably twice as many smaller ones. They are also doing construction on the campus, which has blocked off the entire middle of the campus, leaving periphery trails around and through buildings as the way for students to make their way from one class to another. Since I have talkative freshmen in my classes, we go all the way around one building to reach either the library or the computer lab. The students complain, of course, but I have enjoyed the walks back and forth with each class. Now, if I can add to that distance and keep the momentum until it is habit... Walking is one of my favorite forms of exercise, and I don't do nearly enough of it.

Raine and I are continuing our library habit. She picks out the most interesting books! While I have always been drawn to fiction, she likes non-fiction, and finding out about dinosaurs, along with states of matter, volcanoes, and - this week - earthquakes. She does like the Magic Tree-house series of books, and we read those together, too. I've been enjoying listening to books on my computer while I check my e-mail, and the like, although I really don't listen to them well while I'm typing my blog... words coming in that are different than the words going out... too hard to focus on. I do wish they would be recorded in chapters, though, so you could deal with them more easily in an MP3 player.

I still need to get stuff ready to go, as our trip is approaching in a few days. I finally feel like it might actually get here! I'm very much looking forward to it. For some reason, I really am looking forward to the drive. Am I out of my mind? Maybe... but I'm still looking forward to it...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Construction in the middle of campus? What's going on?

I love the fact that Raine's into science! It's way cool!

No, you're not at all insane to be looking forward to a road trip. Road trips rock!

Dina said...

They're building some new/more locker rooms onto the Varsity gym. They are also building a new library, and administration offices.