Sunday, March 7, 2010

two in a row, again

So, I was going to post about sewing, but I think I'll save that until tomorrow, with pictures.

Today, will be about the Sharpe series. What is that you ask? Well, my friend, let me tell you. It is a British television series. One of the period pieces they do so well, and differently than American television would. This is more like a series of movies. This series stars Sean Bean. You remember him from Lord of the Rings, right? Hidalgo? Come on, you KNOW you want to see more of him.

The first movie, called Sharpe's Rifles, is set during the Napoleonic War, and Sharpe gains a field commission with his brave actions, saving Wellington. He is sent to France with his command, who don't know him, and don't trust him. Needless to say, he saves the day, and gets the girl, becoming a fine officer in the process.

Now, Carl read the books, and when he found the series he tried to download them to watch on the computer. Unfortunately, they were of such poor quality as to be unwatchable. Then, last week, as we perused the movie selection in Sam's as is our wont, lo and behold, they had, not one, but - I think - five different sets of the series! This week, we went prepared to pick up the first, and we did. Of course we broke them open for the first disk this evening. Quite entertaining, and thank goodness it got Carl's mind off the theme from the commercial for Butt Drugs. No, its not what you're thinking! Stop that! Instead, check out the link his facebook page, or YouTube, and search for Butt Drugs ad. Didn't they do well, keeping straight - or nearly so - faces? Free parking in the back, you know.

You all have a good day!

1 comment:

Dina said...

Carl pointed out to me today - as we watched the second installment of the Sharpe series, that I mentioned Sharpe was sent to France. I knew he had been sent to Spain, though. Spain was in my mind, even if France came out my fingers. Sigh.

Over the hills, and far away...