Sunday, December 19, 2010

a moment of metacognition

I posted on Page-by-Page today. It wasn't a long page, but it was there. It doesn't matter that the reasons I had for falling behind were good ones, it was still difficult to pick up the thread on that, even only 7 pages in. I hadn't expected that. Kind of positive feedback for keeping up, because getting in step again can be a challenge in and of itself.

I have to say that challenging myself to that writing seems to have been a good thing for me. putting words on a page isn't particularly difficult for me, per se. Keeping my head above water on creating a story over time is more so. In a good way.

I find myself looking at books in a new way, even Raine's books - she's reading the beginning chapter books now - and I am aware of pacing and chapter formula (for lack of a better description). Ah ha, I think to myself the thing doesn't just come into being, there are bits and pieces, recognizable to one who can recognize them. I'm becoming one of those people. I feels good.

Now, I have no illusion that what I'm writing on that blog will be a major work of new fiction. It's too raw. It's too unedited. Still, whatever comes out will be editable, if it seems worth the effort, and if it isn't perhaps the next thing will be. Whichever, I'm coming closer in many ways to creating something, here, not just starting it with no real idea of where to go. It is, and I sincerely hope it will continue to be, a learning experience.

No comments: