Saturday, July 23, 2011

sookie revisited

The other day, Carl and I listened to an interview with Charlaine Harris, the author of the Sookie Stackhouse series of books, which was made into the HBO series, True Blood. I've read the books, and watched some - although not all - of the television series. I've questioned how she might feel about the changes that were made to her stories for the television adaptations.

These very questions were in the interview, and I really admired and appreciated Ms. Harris' responses. She appreciated the lucrative nature of the relationship between the two franchises. Each helps the other become more popular, and therefor profitable. Still the changes that were made were substantial, and very possibly upsetting to an author. Harris, however is evidently able to separate the two. She recognizes the development of the TV series as separate from the development of her books, and each has a creative vision belonging to the developer.

I know I probably don't explain it well, but I was impressed by her, and her attitude about a situation that would have the potential to drive some of us over the edge. If you are interested in the interview, I'm sorry that I won't be very helpful in finding it, except that the interview was on a show on CBC (Canada's version of public radio).

3 comments:

Fran said...

I hope Lee Child can do the same thing with the upcoming Reacher movie, One Shot.

Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher?

No. No no nononononononooooooooo.

Carl said...

http://www.cbc.ca/q/episodes/

July 18th episode.

Dina said...

Thanks, Carl!