Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Creating good habits

April 20, 2008

So, are you tired of reading about my yard work yet? I got three more bags of stuff ready for the grappler this week. Not much of that back yard that still needs raking, but no, I didn't finish. I should have worked on it on Saturday. Then it would have been finished... well, at least the back yard. It was cool, and there was a bit of cloud cover, and it would have been a nice day to do it, but of course I didn't. In fact I had a hard time making myself do anything on Saturday except play Civ 4. Tried to get a sewing project going too, and I couldn't work that up either... I would wander into the sewing room, then wander through the kitchen, stop to see what Raine was watching on TV, then back to the computer and Civ.

I've managed to get out in the yard some on Sundays though, and I did it again today. I didn't have long to work, as we went to my cousin's house for enchiladas. They were good, too. There weren't so many people there as sometimes we have at these family gatherings, so it was even fairly calm. We sat outside on the porch for a while and enjoyed a fabulous spring evening. We got home a little later than usual, but it was worth it. So, what does that have to do with YOUR yard, you may reasonably ask. All right, I'll wander back onto topic. I had the idea that I would have time to water a little after we got back, before it was dark. That was not so. So tomorrow evening I'll do a little watering in back.

Anyway, as I was raking, and telling Raine that she really shouldn't be swinging on the monkey bar while standing in the wagon (you know, one of those adventures that kids think up, and then they get hurt... but they at least shouldn't do it while the parent is watching), I got to thinking that if I could make my Sunday working in the yard a habit, then that would be a good thing. Of course there will always be something do to for an hour or two out in the yard once a week, so it would be a good habit. Of course my yard needs more than that, but baby steps, I tell you, baby steps.

No comments: