Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Waiting

April 25, 2008

What do you do when you are waiting? Its a good time to watch people. Its usually a great time to catch up on some reading. At least if that is the kind of waiting you are doing. You know, the doctor's office, the bus stop. Somethings going to happen and you need to be here early for it, or it goes by without you. We all know how that feels. At least I think we do. There may be a few who do not, but its one of those things you're the better for, like knowing that there is good because you have seen evil. You should know there is early because you have seen late.

But that isn't the only kind of waiting we do. I spend the time waiting for a tax return thinking of all the ways I could spend it. I could spend it two or three times, usually, but then it more than likely will go to get a little ahead on bills. What about the time waiting for vacation to come? I'm kind of doing that right now, waiting for school to end in about 3 weeks. My students are ready to call it a year, and they only get worse after graduation. I'm sure I was the same at that age, but had no idea how obvious it was. But then, I had no clue about a lot of things back then. At least waiting for vacation, I have work to keep me busy... ha ha ha. That seems rather circular, working to make the time until vacation (when I can stop working) go faster.

Then there are the stressful waiting times. Like for instance I went to work on my wedding day. People looked at me funny, why are you here? Well, I'm not good at that waiting so I tried to keep busy. I did about the same thing when I was pregnant, and was going to go to the hospital that afternoon to be induced. Of course I let my co-workers shoo me away that day. Didn't want to make them too nervous waiting for something to happen. There are people who wait well, and with good grace. I don't think I'm one of them, really. Oh, I do better than some, and I can - generally - distract myself, but still, I'm not among the waiters. Is there are skill to it? Can you get better with wisdom and practice? I just don't know.

1 comment:

Dina said...

Comment:
I do not wait for anything with grace..... more like evil thoughts, and dirty looks, ulcers, and bad eating habits. Currently I'm waiting on word if I can have my masters oral exam next week or not, and I'm going crazy. Friday is my profolio presentation (defense if you want to call it that). Little steps to a degree and I'm about to lose it two weeks before the end of school, and my graduating depends on this. Talk about pressure. Like I don't get enough of that from work and home. We're trying to finish projects at the house too, which adds to the stress and waiting games.

* Commenter name: Dev