Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Its times like these...

April 14, 2008

that make me feel like I should write something long and prophetic and science fiction-y. Something epic, where the good guys ultimately win back the land and the sky opens wide and the angels sing, and... ok, well, maybe not quite on that scale. Still, the possibilities are daunting. Our society could collapse. It could be the end of days! Dogs and cats living together! Wait. Hold it. Enough with the drama. Even so, how many of us feel like we are teetering on the brink of "interesting times?" Is it just me?

Gas prices are high, and getting higher. How long will it be until there are people who can't afford to drive to work? Well, in some places that isn't such a big deal, just hop on the public transportation and away you go. Saves parking and wear & tear on your vehicle at the same time. Its not that I have anything against public transportation, and I've used it. Would start again, if I was living somewhere that the public transportation system consisted of more than a few bus routes. OK, so I work out of town. I tried to move to a school in town last year, and didn't get a position, and since the district I would be working for in town is going to lay off teachers at the end of this school year, the prospects aren't looking too hot for a change this year either. I car pool, but it is a fluid thing, and the number of people changes with this and that. Still, its better than nothing.

What happens when the school district can't afford to pay for fuel for all of the buses they run? Who stays home? There may be some districts that would turn to the web... indeed there are districts which already are... but that might be problematic in the poor rural district where I work. Sure some families have computers, but not all of them. Not enough of them. Some of the students at this school depend on the food they get at school as well, THAT won't be sent through the computer line. Talk about inequities in education - among other things - that could develop!

I know, I know, I'm the type that uses their overactive imagination to explore all kinds of possibilities. Will the worst happen? Honestly, I don't think so, because however much big business wants all that money, throwing the middle class into poverty is not the way to make your bottom line look great in the long run. Those car companies, and electronics and clothing manufacturers are counting on us to buy the latest models and follow the newest fads. If there is a depression the likes we haven't seen for 80-90 years, their profits drain off... Or maybe their markets just shift to Japan and Europe, and soon all the corporations will be sending their call centers to the US... which would be OK, except we have those goofy accents... Wait! that sounds like another book I need to write!

No comments: