Wednesday, April 30, 2008

projects

April 24, 2008

A couple of years ago, Carl, Ron, Raine and I got the idea that we should tie-dye some shirts as a fun project. Carl did some research on the web, as he usually does, and came up with some instructions, and a source for good dyes, and a website for some people who were selling some amazing tie dyed shirts. We bought some, and have been happily wearing them since. Raine's has a spider on it. Mine has a peace sign with circles around it to make a flower. Ron's has a horse on it. Tye dyed. Yep. They had some really amazing stuff.

We ended up doing a couple of sessions of tie dye and enjoyed ourselves, and got some so-so effects the first time, and some really good ones the second time. Nothing amazing like the ones we bought, but we were pretty happy with them, and we had fun getting messy. Now, I'm thinking about doing some more this summer. I think we still have all of the supplies, so it pretty much means buying shirts again. But not too many, because - well, anything can be overdone. They do make good gifts, though, so we may play with that some.

Since I've been thinking about doing the tie dye, though, and I was going to tell you about that site, Kind Dyes, by the way, I was going to link their web site to you. So I went searching for it again. Finally found it, but it looks pretty broken, and hasn't been updated for more than a year. I'm kinda sad about it, actually. I hope they've moved and I can find them again, and if I do, I will definitely give you a link. These people did some very cool techniques, and their shirts are/were very good quality.

3 comments:

Dina said...

Shannon and I both still wear ours from the session we did at your house. Of cource, my favorite is the black skull and cross bones one but I've worn it so much its pretty much grey and you can just see the red eyes on it, and bearly the rest. Next time. Much tighter sewing.

* Commenter name: Dev

Anonymous said...

http://hyenacart.com/VividTribe/
My friend Sonja does wonderful work.

Dina said...

Comment:
Tie dyed shirts? I love them! I suspect, though, that Lillian will just smile indulgently if I go ahead and get one. But now that you've mentioned it, I may have to go to the Market and see if I can find a tie dyed tank top. Cool, man!

* Commenter name: Fran