Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Yardwork

April 06, 2008

Even when you're not perennially behind on it like I am, yardwork is always on the list. All that raking, weeding, planting, and, well, probably not so much mowing this year. Yes, that's how bad my yard is at the moment. Years of disappointed neglect in the backyard, which used to have a decent covering of grass, have taken their toll. The remodeling project did nothing to help. Still... take a deep breathe and consider the possibilities. A clean slate. We can plan what we want where, and not have to feel guilty about taking apart someone else's hard work, its been long gone. So what's the problem? The plan, the money, the work... you know all the usual stuff.

Its not that I hate yardwork. I mean, I have flashbacks to the forced labor of childhood sometimes. You know, your parents request, then cajole, and finally threaten your happiness (if not well-being) to get some minor task done so poorly, and with so much complaining and whining, that it would probably have been less work for them to do it themselves. Yeah, the good old days. Now, I like being outside, and as with all such tasks, I enjoy the feeling of accomplishment on getting it done, and having things look better. And it is good exercise, and not more strenuous than you make it yourself. SO, WHAT is the deal about doing it??? (She asks rhetorically)

See, its the inertia. Yeah, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. And it isn't just MY inertia, its the inertia of those around me. Why should I go do all that work while they aren't working? It makes sense, right? As an excuse. And here's the thing, I realize it is an excuse, and nothing more, even if I can amuse myself with the clever wording. That is, after all part of what I'm working through, learning, sharing in this blog. How do I change ME. How do any of us change ourselves? How do we convince ourselves to do the good things, the RIGHT things, in some cases, regardless of what others are or are not doing? THAT is the lesson, I think. Then, we (I) learn to carry it over to other areas, I hope.

Anyway, I did some raking in the yard this afternoon. 4 bags of yard waste for the grappler on Tuesday, yay. No, I didn't get the whole yard done, but what I did get done looks better than it did before, thank you. I feel good about getting out in the air, and the sun, and the breeze. Spending time with my daughter, and the dog, and the yard. Still, I don't get to cross it of the list yet... or - really - ever.

No comments: