Monday, October 19, 2009

de-nile

Yes, even though I really try to be realistic and straightforward with myself, I have taken up a residence on the riverfront. A nice condo, evidently, but I'm only renting... In fact, I'm moving out as we "speak."

I went to the Dr this past week, to get refills on my high blood pressure, and insulin medications. Well, when the nurse took my blood pressure, it was high. What? I've had it tested a few places this week, keeping a log... high every time. Not the same numbers every time, but... I HAVE been taking my medication, darn it! regularly! OK, so sometimes these things change. I haven't been walking as much as I need to, etc. (Ahhh, the river looks so peaceful from here.) And my job is more stressful this year than it was last year.

Part 2 (there usually is one, isn't there). I also went to get my blood drawn for the A1C for the diabetes. Well, here I know I haven't lost weight since the last time I had it drawn. It was down that time from the time before. That was when I started scoping on riverfront property I'm sure. Oh, I know there are changes I've made permanently. No regular sodas. I check carbs on almost all packaging... then many times I set the product back on the shelf unpurchased. But there are those chips with dip at Carrillos. MMM yeah. bad me. And of course those aren't my only transgression... although I must admit that I'm learning to feel when my blood sugar is too high, and not like it (negative reinforcement is a good thing for me). On the other hand, doing something to get that experience... not so good.

Then, last summer, I got a blood sugar monitor. I don't remember exactly why, but, I did. An inexpensive one, since insurance wasn't paying, and it only came with 10 testing strips, and those suckers add up! Anyway, I tested then, and the number was good, so that was that (yeah, 1 test on 1 day). I'll take that condo on the end, it has beautiful view of de nile. Anyway I pulled it out again this week, after the Dr's visit, mainly because I mentioned I had it, and the nurse suggested a log, along with the BP one. Well, even with the instructions, I managed to waste about half of the strips I had (that original 10) on taking the samples incorrectly. DOH! but then Ron helped me and pointed out the correct way to do it. The two samples I've taken since, were both high! argh! I'm pretty unhappy with that, and I know it's my own doing. So, I'm also pretty unhappy with myself on that behalf.

Tomorrow I go back to the Dr. for test results, hopefully, and a discussion of the necessity for a prescription for testing supplies. I have actually brought them up to him before this, but I'll be more insistent this time. I called into the office today, and told them what kind of monitor I have. Gotta keep myself in working order! Either that or live and die in denial...

1 comment:

Fran said...

Funnily enough, I'm reading a book that's set on the Nile. Granted, it's set in 77 AD, but it's still the Nile.

De-Nile, on the other hand, has quite the wandering path, doesn't it? I know it comes up here too.

It takes baby steps, and we're all having to make them. Lillian and I have better days/weeks/months than others, and from here to the end of the year is seriously tough.

But we keep the knowledge of what can happen if we don't behave clearly in our heads. It doesn't always help, but mostly it does.

And we remember, baby steps. Don't beat yourself up over what happened yesterday. Just try to do better today. It's all you can do, and you'll continue to improve.