Sunday, October 11, 2009

rincon 2009


Well, we made it to Tucson, and to the gaming convention. I had fun playing 18XX - a train game from the company that made 1830, 1850, etc. It is supposed to be a "lighter" version. A quicker version. It must be, because we played a complete game in less than 4 hours. I won on a technicality. The guy who "ran" the game for the con actually had the highest score - by about $30 - but since he couldn't officially win, that would be me. It was a good game and I felt like the strategy that I've developed basically paid off, and not just because of the people I usually play with play the way they do... if that makes sense.

Of course, we went to this con for two reasons... one is that Wil Wheaton blogged that he was going to go, which allerted me to it's existence. The second reason that we went is that I'll pretty much use any excuse to go to Tucson and visit my friends Steph & Pete, and their family. So, it was pretty much a good weekend even if only for that visit.

So, since I've enjoyed reading Wil's blog, and I wanted to hear him speak, we took advantage of our opportunity to do just that. Wil read from a couple of his pieces, and was VERY entertaining. I would recommend going to see him if you ever get the chance. He is also just a very nice guy. It is refreshing to meet them now and again. And, yes, he did game at the con. In fact, we had to wait a few minutes for the Munchkin game he was playing to be done before he came to speak. He was worth the wait. Look! I even got a somewhat blurry photo to "prove" that we were in the same place at the same time...

Fun was had.

1 comment:

Fran said...

I thought that fuzzy face looked familiar!

Congratulations on meeting an icon, and congratulations on winning the game!