Friday, October 30, 2009

I must be getting old

Yesterday, as I was walking home from taking Raine to school, in the first really cold weather we've had this year, huddling in my jacket, and glad that I had gloves on, one of my neighbors walked out to get something from his truck wearing a pair of shorts. No shirt, no shoes - not even socks, just shorts. He is pleasantly built, being all buff for his fireman job, but that was not what went through my mind at that moment. What I did think was, man, that just makes me cold to see.

I almost said something of the sort to him, as I walked by, but then - being shy, and not on a speaking basis with the man - I refrained. Then, I thought, he might be kind of hurt... some old fat lady walks by him with his pretty biceps and all, and all she can say is something like, seeing you out here like that just makes me cold. I'm sure that isn't why he works out. I'm sure he would much rather think about making the ladies hot, not cold (even if they aren't desirable ladies).

So, then, I was both glad I had not said anything to him, not wanting him to be hurt by it, and not knowing him at all to know how he would take the remark, and I was amused at myself thinking about his reaction if I had said it. Of course then I just thought, you know, cold here is barely winter in a lot of places (it almost got down to freezing... the trees still have their leaves) and it wasn't like he was out to stay in that chilly morning.

Still, I think its a sign, when an attractively built young man shows off his physique to no positive effect. Sigh.

No comments: