Sunday, October 18, 2009

Saturday sewing

(Has it really been since Tuesday since I've blogged??? Oh, my, where does the time go? I mean, I know I'm on fall break, but...)

So, this week I had Saturday sewing at home. Roxanne was sick, and I hope she feels better soon. Really soon. She sounded terrible when she called me to tell me she was sick. So, Ron and I worked on a coat that we had cut out for him quite a while ago. It could have been while we were living in Denver, I'm not really sure. Maybe we had already moved back... A while ago. The coat is based on one from the last part of the 1700's, and we cut it out of black denim.

Today we took it out of the bag, and looked through the directions, and had at it. I sewed while Ron ironed. We both took turns pinning, etc. We got the sleeves done, and the pockets (man, that coat has BIG pockets!) done, and we're about ready to put the collar on and then attach the outer layer to the lining. It has flaps and stuff so that will take a bit, but the coat is looking good.

So, here's the thing about Saturday sewing that I want to pass along to you: the regular use of my sewing skills has really made a difference to me. I feel much more confident of the skills. I feel like I'm a better seamstress, and better able to take on a wider variety of projects, and some more difficult ones, as well. I look forward to doing just that, in fact. I don't know exactly what they will be yet, but I'm sure the challenge will come along on its own. This coat really isn't as difficult as I thought it might be.

Of course, I know that practicing a skill improves it, but I didn't realize how ready I was for "the next level." Nor did I know how much fun it would be to get here, and how much I would appreciate being here.

1 comment:

Fran said...

Isn't it great when you suddenly realize that, yes, you CAN do that! Congratulations!

And the coat sounds great, can't wait to see pictures. Ron has to model!