Thursday, October 8, 2009

fashion and style

Really, I feel like I have very little fashion sense. Mostly I just don't care what is in style. I grew up in the 70's, and I wore those clothes. I've been scarred.

Still, I like to sew, and I know what I like. I appreciate some classic stylistic elements. I understand the basics of garment construction, and fitting (although I also realize there is more practice to be done in the fitting).

I've even been sewing quite a bit. Thinking of wardrobe building, and planning. Participating in it, too, to some extent. I mean I have actually finished a garment or two for myself, even though most of what I've made has been for others.

So, what am I leading to? Just this. I finally sat down and watched a couple of episodes of the runway show (OK the name escapes me at the moment) You know, the design show for fashion designers. I enjoyed the challenge element of the program, and realizing that I could make those designs - although many of them, I wouldn't... Does that mean I'm going to try out for that show? Nah, although if I did, I would want a plus sized model. So there. I really don't have the sensibility that those judges are looking for. I don't have their tastes. That's OK with me, I wouldn't touch some of the stuff they liked a lot. I probably respect the advice of the guy in the suit who checks on everyone's progress more than the judges. AND I like the way he phrases his comments. Helpful, but not leading.

So, anyway, I sat on the bench at jury duty orientation today, evaluating what people were wearing. Thinking about what worked, and what didn't, and thinking about some ideas I've been playing with. I think that is where at least some of Roxanne's and my sewing is going... Trying to create some style for us. I'm sure some of it will be disastrous, but I'm OK with that. It's a learning process. I'm getting ideas, I tell you, IDEAS!!!

1 comment:

Fran said...

Don't the fashionistas just make you laugh? What's wrong with being comfortable?

You're on jury duty? Heh. Must be the month. I go in on the 19th. I had it scheduled for last month, but. . .nah, I took a trip to New Mexico instead. Have to have priorities!