Wednesday, September 3, 2008

and on it goes

I got word today that my uncle passed away. It was rather unexpected and sudden, which makes it no less painful for those left behind. He was my mother's favorite brother, and we were closest to him and his family of all the aunts/uncles/cousins. We would meet on camping vacations as we were growing up, and even after everyone had retired, my parents would travel with them on occasion.

My aunt and uncle moved to Ruidoso when they retired, so they were close enough to visit and keep in touch. When one or another of my cousins would go visit them, we would plan a trip to White Sands, and have a picnic and let the children play. In fact this past summer, not that many weeks ago, Raine and I did just that. It was good to see them, and I am, right now, so very glad I went.

We all face it, don't we. Sooner or later. It is part of that inevitability. You are born, you live, you die. If you are lucky you find good people around you, and you treasure them and you keep memories of them as part of your being. It's the best any of us can hope for.

1 comment:

Fran said...

Ah Sweetie, I am so sorry!