Monday, September 15, 2008

happy birthday

Tomorrow is Carl's birthday. Not that - I suppose - he is going to be as public about it as I just was, still, I wish him a happy birthday.

Siblings are an interesting thing. You love 'em or you 'hate them, sometimes you love them AND you hate them. My siblings are not bad, as these things go. They've tolerated me bossing them around, possibly because they have no idea that it could be otherwise (I'm the oldest and I said so, that's why). None of us have seriously tried to maim or kill either of the others, although there has been yelling and hitting. We are - after all - human. Still, none of that for a very long time.

Carl and I are friends, though, as well, as siblings. It is a comforting relationship. We know what each other is like, and - generally speaking - why. We can't read each other's minds or anything, or finish each other's sentences... that would be creepy, wouldn't it? It is nice that he is around now, however. I have missed him when he has lived away - at one point in Norway (Nor-away?). It's nice for Raine as well, because her Uncle Carl is part of her daily life. He's taught her so many things, like how to argue, and what a whoopie cushion is good for.

Anyway, I want to wish Carl a happy birthday. Not really because I'm concerned that he will be on the lookout for those b-day wishes, but more that I would like to take the opportunity to celebrate the special person he is, and what he brings to our house every day - even the days when he makes me crazy! Why won't he mind me when I try to boss him around??? Oh, wait. He NEVER would...

1 comment:

Fran said...

Happy Birthday, Carl! I hope it's fabulous! If it isn't, blame your sister. That's what she's there for, and besides, she's the bossy one, so she can insist it be fabulous!