Monday, September 29, 2008

getting home late

I'm not as good at it as I used to be. There was a time that I didn't think anything about heading to a friend's house on the way home from work, going to dinner with them and wandering around a store for a couple hours afterwards. I would get home in time to check e-mail, have a shower and sleep. That wasn't really all that long ago.

And yet it was a lifetime ago. Well, Raine's lifetime. Now that there are people to come home to, I would - I hope it's obvious - rather go home to them. Now, wait. That sounds like my friends aren't important to me. They are, you know. I'm a Taurus, remember, and we hold on to our friends. Some of my friends I would take home. But of course, there aren't any empty bedrooms. Now, I want to be able to spend time with Raine and get snuggles. I gotta soak 'em up while I can. She won't want to hang out with Mom one day.

It wasn't like I hated being home by myself, either. I could be quite content and entertained spending time on my own. Now, home is just more home-y. It isn't just a collection of roommate people, but a family there. My family. And it feels really good.

So tonight, I stayed late at school, which I will have to do once a week for a class I am taking. Then it was dinner, and going to the hospital to visit a friend. A couple more errands - thanks, Dev, for riding around with me - and finally I got to get home 13 hours after I'd left. I'm not as drained as I sometimes am after a long day like this, and I'm really glad that I got to do the things I did after work. Still, I like getting home, too.

No comments: