Thursday, September 11, 2008

thank you

Writing is kind of like loosing weight. You have to be appreciate of small increments, and you have to be happy - sometimes - when you are doing anything about it AT ALL.

I love reading, and I love writing, but I don't always do anything about the writing part. It can, after all, be classified as work. (I have mentioned that I'm lazy, right?) Well, as Fran has testified, blogging has been helpful to her other writing endeavors, as well. She is much braver than I, doing the book in a weekend contests. (I know that isn't the name of it really, but I've slept since I heard &/or read it, and will soon be sleeping again) I'm not that focused. I'm not that advanced at plotting ahead. So far, things that I have written have been short, or have kind of petered out. Its ok, I still like to write them.

So, anyway, I've been writing. Only a few pages in, so lets not all jump around or anything, but its a start, and - as you can maybe tell - I'm proud of starting. I'm happy to be starting. Even that is a milestone. A book of 30 chapters must start with a sentence. A page. One chapter.

So thanks Fran, for being inspiration, and for having this conversation in writing with me. You too, Dev. Anyone else reading (?) join in on the dialog. I'm interested in where this will take me. Where it will take us.

2 comments:

Fran said...

Ah, the Three Day Novel Contest. It was an amazing experience, and who knows, I may do it again.

Good for you, though. It takes discipline to sit down and write every day. BISFOK is your mantra -- Butt in Seat, Fingers on Keyboard.

Keep it up!

Unknown said...

You know, I like reading the blogs simply because I end up living in my own little world and its a way to see other views and what is going on in other peoples lives.
I write for a living, well it's part of the job. Granted it's boring technical writing, but still I have to write every day.

I have been doing research (before I graduated) on the Urban Renewal in Las Cruces, and I think at some point I will write a book on it. But I don't see it happening anytime soon. I need so much more fact checking. And I have to get back into the habit of sitting at the computer at home and writting.