Thursday, September 25, 2008

spore II

So, this evening, as she is getting ready for bed, Raine tells me, she sees Spore when she closes her eyes. Hmmm ... Maybe spending too much time with a game here? I'm sure it is only the first of many for her, and I sympathize.

How many nights have I dreamed of moving Civ units hither and yon. Or clicking on buttons to use powers. Or while driving to work, wondering what something was by the side of the road, and thinking about clicking on it to find out. I know you've done it too... Come on...

But at least I'm an adult - well people keep telling me that, so it MUST be true - and I can refocus as I need to. I have the practice to be able to concentrate on the business at hand... and click later. Raine doesn't yet. So, yes, it is affecting her at school. Sounds like a good opportunity for a timer, and planning other activities. We will have to teach her moderation and balance when it comes to computers and computer games... even though sometimes it seems we don't know that moderation ourselves.

Still, I do have the realization that learning is going on in her brain. I know myself, when I am internalizing game play, I dream about it, and think about it more than maybe I intend to. She is gonna be good at Spore. Really good.

1 comment:

Fran said...

I still dream about a couple of zones in EQ. Perhaps it's a strange thing, but I do.

And not a one of us is surprised that Raine is so good at computers. After all, wasn't it just three years ago that she found her way into Ron's computer without help?

Remember, we're numbers 6 and 7 in line for all the money she's going to make hacking into Halliburton's war chest!