Thursday, February 5, 2009

another Coen brothers film

Carl and I just got through watching the movie, No Country for Old Men. It's a Coen brothers movie, and yes, it is strange and watchable and parts of it make you say, "What the heck just happened???" Yes, you should include multiple question marks.

I wrote about Burn After Reading, not to long ago, and it had a more comedic streak through it that No Country does not have. This film is dark and rather bleak, and you want to root for the Hero, but you know, you just KNOW, that things are not going to turn out well. For anyone.

The movie was filmed in Marfa, El Paso, and in Las Vegas, NM. Yes, Dev, when I read that, I got this echo of your voice telling me about them filming this movie up there when they were doing the filming. It is set in the '80's, and they did a really good job of recreating that feel in the sets and locations.

Do I recommend this film? Well, if you like Coen brothers films, you will probably like this one. Personally, I'm going to have to think about it a little more before I decide to really recommend it. The acting and the writing were well done. Tommy Lee Jones is superb. It isn't the bloodiest Coen brothers film I've seen. But the effect of the whole... (with out being more of a spoiler than I already have) I would say that this is a film to be appreciated for the work that it is, even if you don't like or appreciate the message of the film. Its a good film. Its very well done. I don't think I will watch it a lot of times.

1 comment:

Fran said...

Bleak. Nope, can't get into bleak right now.

But I'm glad you appreciated it!