Tuesday, February 3, 2009

out from the ether

I have this idea floating around in my brain. It came from dreaming about what I would do if I won the lottery... you know those plans. They are usually a lot of fun, but not incredibly practical in real life. But this one? I don't know... If I could get my brain around it in the right way, it just might work, and eventually provide its own support.

Part of the idea comes from crafting. I know that really isn't a surprise, is it. That if I won the lottery, I would be free to sew and knit and crochet up a huge storm and buy all the supplies I want to. AND a wonderful, well lit place to craft in, with plenty of storage, and of course my vision also has lots of windows for the sunlight. But it doesn't stop there, oh, no. When I'm having a great time, I like to share it, so this studio would have plenty of room for creative friends, and we could throw ideas around, and give feedback, and generally be "Martha's staff" for each other, and share our enthusiasm with one another. I actually envision rather a smallish store front kind of place, where people could see what was going on inside, and our finished works could be displayed in some fashion. Maybe there would be sales, but that wouldn't be the point of the studio per se. At least not at first. What it amounts to, more or less, is the job I would love if I didn't have to worry about supporting myself, or family.

People support themselves with their creative endeavors, right? Right? Well, my experience is that SOME people do. BUT, if you really had this creative laboratory going, think of the craft articles you could write and sell. Think of the classes you could give (and recieve as well). In this electronic age, you might even be able to find a niche where your creative wares sold for what your time was worth. It COULD happen. Or am I completely off my rocker here?

3 comments:

Fran said...

I think it's a brilliant idea, and if anyone can pull it off, it's you!

Dina said...

Will you and Lillian come and play/create with me, too?

Fran said...

Oh, I think you can pretty much count on it!