Thursday, February 19, 2009

still trying to talk myself into it

So, last week, when I went to the Dr. I finally found out what the results were from the blood sugar test that I had taken in October. I know, bad me for not making sure i found out earlier, but I knew they would call me and let me know if it was bad. It wasn't. 7.2 was a big improvement over the previous one at 8. I don't have to take the test again until April. Yay me. I had even lost some more weight.

But I know that those pounds are not staying off. I go down, then back up, about 5 pounds or so, which with my body weight isn't a huge percentage of my overall weight. Still, it tells me that I'm not doing as well as I would like to think I am, and I shouldn't be fooling myself about it. No, I shouldn't. Still, as I know, there are other indicators of better overall health. I've bought smaller pants. Other clothes are fitting me more loosely. I've been making a conscious effort to walk more at work, and I can tell that my body feels better for it. Still, I would like to quit loosing those 5 pounds and work on a different 5 pounds for a while.

This is not a new problem for me. And while it has to do with my habit and desire to put food in my mouth when I shouldn't, I will also note that I've mostly been good about cutting the carbs, and eating carbs with protiens and the like. The low carb and low glycemic index meals that I've had are yummy, and I don't feel deprived by eating them. I'm not complaining about the food that I'm eating. Still, I do feel more and more like I need to invest in that blood sugar monitor. I need that daily feedback to reinforce my good days, and not let me think I'm getting away with something on the bad ones. This waiting 6 months - at this point - isn't really helping me with my learning curve on a daily basis. That monitor would help me in my personal quest not to fool myself that I'm taking care of things as I should when I'm not. It will also give me another indicator that I am taking care of things as I should, even when other indicators may be confusing.

1 comment:

Fran said...

This is a whole new world you've landed in, Sweetie, and it will take time to get the hang of it. We're an instant society, so we want A)things fixed NOW, and B) to be able to adapt to huge changes NOW. It doesn't work that way.

You're feeling better, your clothes fit better, you're making small changes that will eventually yield great positives, and I know this is true because your number dropped.

Be kind to yourself, and be patient. You're doing it right.