Tuesday, February 17, 2009

steampunk

Have you seen this stuff? Some of it is just so very very cool! Google it, I dare ya. OK, it shouldn't be much of a surprise that I can geek out over it, after all, i really like roll playing games, AND I spent some fun years in the Society for Creative Anachronism. Anyway, some of the models and stuff that I have seen are pretty awesome.

I've read that there are organized steampunk groups. I haven't seen any around here, but I HAVE seen a poster for a steampunk convention in the Seattle area later this year. Woah, would I love to go to that. Of course I'm so very not ready to do it, really. No garb for one thing. Oh, yeah, I could make some. I know I could (see previous experience in the SCA). Garb for me, Ron, Carl & Raine. We could have some serious fun.

First I think we'll have to go local, though. Carl mentioned a steampunk costume party. I think we'll start there, with plenty of warning to people so they can put proper effort into their wardrobe... Ahhh the imagination alights.

2 comments:

Fran said...

Steampunk? Victorian fantasy?

Okay. I've worn corsets and those pointy shoes, so I'm not that jazzed about the period, but it looks cool. And if you end up here in Seattle, we can probably come up with crash room.

Have you heard of Jana Oliver? She's a mystery author whose trilogy is set partly in the future, but mostly in London during the Ripper years. She really gets that steamy, coal-fueled, damp time. And the story line's good too.

http://www.magespell.com/jgoliver/

Dina said...

Yeah... you know Victorian FANTASY. I can trade out the parts I don't like. Thanks for the link!