Wednesday, February 25, 2009

television viewing

There are a couple of things that bug me about commercial television. The biggest one being - of course - commercials. bleah. That being said, the number of programs I'm willing to watch seems to be on the rise lately. First, there is Heroes, which I've talked about before, and I'm still enjoying on Monday nights. Before Heroes, is Chuck, which generally, I can leave or take, but Carl likes it, and it has Adam Baldwin in it. He used to be in Firefly, a Joss Whedon series. Yep, there's going to be a theme here, of sorts. Anyway, after Heroes is Medium, which I enjoy as a mystery series, although I've missed a season or maybe two. Still, now it is on at a time when I can easily find it, and I've enjoyed the episodes I've caught.

Now Joss Whedon has a new series this season, called Dollhouse. The premise is that certain people are maleable and suseptable to a process that lets them accept experiences, skills, and personality traits that are not their own, and use them as if they were. Need a negotiator? If there is one in the memory banks, you can hire him/her from the Dollhouse... Only that isn't all there is to it. I hope. The second episode was more interesting and held more promise of development than the first did. AND we find out that there is an escaped Doll... Alpha. I read today that Alpha will be played by Alan Tudyk, who also played one of the characters in Firefly. This character is MUCH different than that, and I will be interested in seeing Tudyk's acting. Dollhouse follows the Sarah Conner Chronicals, which features another Firefly alumni, who's name is escaping me at the moment, darn it. She played River Tam, though.

Tonight, I got to see a little preview of a new series starting March 9th, called Cathedral (I think that's right) about a mystery writer that solves crimes, I think. Wait. Isn't that Murder She Wrote? Um, only this time, move over Angela, Nathon Fillion is playing the writer. He is - in the trailer - being questioned because someone is copying deaths from his books. Nathon played Malcolm Reynolds in - you guessed it - Firefly. I like mystery series, and even enjoyed MSW, although I have to admit I would never want to meet Jessica myself, it would probably mean I was next on someone's list. That woman was around more murdered people than most homicide detectives. Being her aquantance was like the kiss of death. Anyway, I've got a season of TV to keep track of. Yikes. Good thing I know where some of the download sites are, and our DVR will let you fast forward through those darned commercials.

2 comments:

Fran said...

Did you know that our shop was featured in a Jessica Fletcher novel? Truth. The guy who writes them, Donald Bain, really likes us.

He's actually the person who wrote "Coffee, Tea or Me" back in the 60's under a girlie pseudonym.

I've developed a passion for NCIS lately, and I fell hard for "Leverage". Beyond that, though, I don't watch many series. I burned out on trying to keep track of who was who in "Heroes", although I LOVED the first couple of seasons.

Nowadays, I have a hard time being interested in trying new things, though. I'm not sure why that is.

But I'm glad you've found some things you enjoy!

Dina said...

Well, new things with familiar faces, more or less.