Saturday, February 28, 2009

rambling thoughts

The weather today was not quite up in the 80's like it was earlier this week, but it was still a very nice day out. I got a bit of yard improvement done, like trimmed the dead wood off the rose bushes. I noticed that the pomegranite bush that we planted last weekend is already getting little leaves on it. Yay, a good sign that it survived replanting. Of course, now it just has to weather the inevitable cold snap that will be coming up sometime in the next month or so. Still more work out there to do, though, and I'm hoping I can get to a bit of it tomorrow. It feels good to be outside. I hate to start watering so early, but this winter has been sooo dry that I'm afraid it is necessary.

Shopped in one of my favorite spots today... yep, fabric. Found a couple of pieces I really liked. I want to make pants. Oh, sure I've made myself pants before, but its kind of iffy whether I will like the way they feel once I've made them. Oh, they look fine, but I've got one of those shapes that patterns aren't always cut for. Or something. I haven't learned the ultimate secret of sewing pants, yet. I've made a few pair for Raine, and I think I do better on hers. (or maybe its just that I don't have to feel how they fit) Maybe that has given me enough practice... anyway, I keep finding myself buying pants fabric, and yet, I have not made new pants yet.

Carl made tomato soup again today. Did I tell you about his home-made tomato soup? Oh My Goodness. And it's simple! Almost as easy as opening a can of Campbell's, and oh, so much better. SO here's what you do. Cut up an onion, and sautee until almost browned. Throw in some garlic (we have the already crshed kind, and he puts in about a tablespoon). Stir that around a bit. Then, add two cans of diced tomatos, and two cups of chicken or vegetable broth. Bullion cubes will be too salty, but Carl has used a condensed broth from a jar that he keeps for cooking with and works just fine. Add some basil, fresh or dry, and a little tabasco, to taste. Let this simmer together for a bit, then Puree in the blender. Return to the pan, then add a cup of half & half to make it creamy. Of course you need a grilled cheese sandwich with this soup. Perfect for comfort food, I must say.

So now that my thoughts have wandered around, they are heading for bed, and I think I will follow...

No comments: