Sunday, February 15, 2009

putting the best foot forward

Or at least the one with the finished sock. I have now officially knitted a sock. One. Not a pair, yet, because I put my socks on one at a time. You know, put them on the knitting needles. Yeah. OK, it was lame. Still...

So, back to the sock I finished. It comes up about mid-calf, sorta, and isn't very form fitting, so will probably be kind of slip-off-y. Since it is wool, and here in the southern end of NM, where it doesn't get so cold so often or so long to really need wool socks, it is going to be worn mostly as a slipper, which I don't wear often. Still, I'm looking forward to enjoying the pair, which means I need to cast it on so I can work on it while I sit in front of the TV and stuff. It took a little getting used to knitting with the double pointy end needles, but I feel pretty comfortable with them now. I wasn't sure I would - having started a sock - ever finish one, let alone a pair. I can totally see myself knitting more socks now. I see many beautiful patterns for them, some of which I would like to try.

There is a lot of beautiful sock yarn out there, too... and I'll have to be shopping around for it, I think. I have some guidelines. I will work with wool, but, like I said earlier, it isn't the most practical material where I live. I'll have to experiment with some cotton blends, I think. Second, the yarn - and therefor the socks - have to be washable. And I don't mean by hand, 'cause, really folks, it ain't gonna happen. Socks are a working garment, and must be able to be worn and then have the stinky washed out. Also, I don't want to go broke paying $25 for the yarn to make a pair of socks. No disrespect meant for any yarn company or individual. I would pay $25 for yarn to make other things, but a pair of socks, probably not...

So, there ya have it. Sock feet... uh, sock foot?

1 comment:

Fran said...

Yay! Happy Sock Foot! Shall we make it official? The day after Valentine's Day is Sock Foot Day?

Seriously, congratulations on creating sock. It's no small accomplishment!

Up here, we're huge fans of Merino wool socks, wear them all the time. They're light enough to not be overly clunky and they're warm, which is a big deal, and they're spongy enough (does that sound right?) to provide cushioning when standing. We loves us some Merino wool socks. With lycra so they stay put.

But down there? I can't imagine wearing wool socks except for perhaps three days out of the year. But for those three days? Oh baby!

Good job!