Monday, January 23, 2012

kindle it

For Christmas I got an upgrade from my Kindle, to a Kindle Fire. Now, there were some things that I really enjoyed about the Kindle. It has nice clear text, and the font size is adjustable. I like pushing the button to go to the next page and I like that it saves my place for me, even when I look through another book or something. Most amazing is the battery life on that thing. You can read for a month without recharging it.

So, what do I think about the Fire? Well, let's see. Clear text, check. Adjustable font size, check. Backlit so you can read without turning on the light, added plus. So is color. The battery life is definitely more limited, though. The Fire has a touch screen, which can be stubborn at times. Or else I don't know where to touch. Or both. Since you swipe it to turn the page, sometimes a stray movement or shadow can turn the page. It isn't a constant fight, but you do have to be aware of where your fingers are on the edge of it. The screen also rotates so that the type is oriented "up" all the time. You can read the length of the screen or the width.

My Fire also has more net access. While previously the whispernet (I think that's what they call it) would load my books on my device, that's about all the connectivity it had. The Fire will do more, like stream movies. Ron downloaded the Netflix ap for me, and now, I can watch an episode of something while I ride the stationary bike. The picture is actually pretty good, though small, but I'm not looking at it from very far away anyway. With the earphones on, I don't even have to turn the volume up all the way to be heard over the wind of the bike (it uses air resistance). Sweet.

Now, if I can just master that touch screen. OBEY ME!

No comments: