Thursday, May 1, 2008

All we are...

...is dust in the wind. Again, today. I drove to El Paso today - ok, Santa Theresa, but for almost everyone El Paso will be more meaningful. On the way home, the wind rocked the car pretty badly, as it will. My Rodeo is rather higher profile than some of the other vehicles I've owned recently, and doesn't deal with the wind as well as some I've had. Still, I've had enough practice driving in the strong winds that it isn't too much of a big deal. Still, you hang back to see how the truckers will handle the gusts before you pull up beside them.

There was also a fire beside the road, in the median and the wind had blown it across the freeway. I called it into 911, but others - not surprisingly - had already done so as well.

Our allergies also ramp up with the dust in the air. So much sneezing and runny nose and that weird way your voice sounds when your sinuses are closing up... I'm trying to remember to give Raine her claritin so she doesn't get too bad, but she is suffering, I know. Poor little boogie nose girl. When she was younger, she would come up to one of us, and tell us her boogies were fallin' out.

So, I think I better have a point here, and maybe I've actually thought of one. Things to do. Celebrate spring! In New Mexico, that often means - like today - celebrate in wind and dust. Still nature, in her strength and her beauty deserves our respect and our thanks.

1 comment:

Fran said...

See, this is one of the reasons we're pleased NOT to be there any more! Yes, we miss you guys, and we miss the food, and we miss the lower cost of living in a BIG way, but we don't miss the dust that tries to sandblast the paint off your car.

And to think I used to wear a contact in that. It's astonishing my eyes survived!