Monday, May 12, 2008

time to worry?

I bought gas yesterday for $3.49 per gallon. I thought that was pretty high, and it hadn't taken very long to jump to that price. I had been seeing $3.59 and $3.69 around town, and even $3.79 right out of town, so I knew it was a good price for the area, even if I didn't much like it. Today, on my way home, in town no less, I saw regular unleaded priced at $3.84 per gallon. That rapid rise really concerns me. The rising gas prices, the rising food prices, the fact that some staples are occasionally hard to come by in some areas are ALL concerning me.

My brother and I plan our household shopping, and after he watched some news stories on rice, flour and other staples, we discussed whether or not we should stock up. We decided at that time not to, to see how things would go and not panic. Now, I wonder if we should stock up anyway - not because I think we should panic about food - but rather, we should try NOT to go shopping so often because of the price of gas.

I signed Raine up for swimming lessons this summer, and a swim camp. Six weeks worth of taking her to the pool every day and bringing her home. Trading rides with her young friend's parents some of those days so they can play together. Now, I wonder if that will really be a wise choice. The pool is pretty close, and staying home all day every day would probably send us both over the edge, but still, it shouldn't be a hardship for the family for her to be driven to swim lessons. I get concerned when I see that as a possibility.

And what about driving to work? I carpool... but still. How much of a daily wage is reasonable to spend on commuting? Is there a formula? I don't know it, but I'd be interested in it. I wish there were other commuting options to where I work, but there aren't. I may have to suggest something...

Bicycle manufacturers rejoice!

1 comment:

Fran said...

It's going to be an interesting summer, that's certain. And sure, gas prices will drop in September and October -- politicians will want to claim credit for it so folks'll vote for 'em -- but come November 5th, how much do you want to bet gas prices will skyrocket?

Me? Cynical? Nawww.