Friday, May 30, 2008

Swimming

When my brothers and I were kids, our summers were spent swimming. We got good at it. We wanted a pool with a nice big deep end, so we could swim to the bottom of it time after time after time. My mom got to send us off to the Elks Club pool every afternoon for 3 or 4 hours and got a quiet house to herself. Then we came home ready for dinner and slept soundly.

Raine and Shelbi have been begging me to take them swimming. The wading pool just isn't the thrill they are looking for. Yesterday I took them to one of the city pools, but for a number of reasons - not the least of which was that the pool was at capacity - we didn't get to stay. Today I took the girls to a friend's backyard pool, and let them have at it. They splashed and jumped in and climbed out and generally had a great time. They did not want to get out and dry off even though they were both shivery. I had to rate hand stands and cannon balls. (The Olympic judges have nothing to worry about with my judging abilities.)

Raine fell asleep on the car ride home. They both fell asleep easily and quickly tonight. Ahhh peace and quiet...

2 comments:

Fran said...

Some of my best memories growing up were in the swimming pool. Did you know that's how I met Lou? She was 9, I was 10 and I wasn't paying attention to where I was going and head-butted her in the stomach. She'd just gotten to town and that was her first introduction to life in Silver City. It still makes me smile.

I hear you're in the 90's now. We just built a fire to take the chill off the house. LOL!

Enjoy your swim time!

Unknown said...

90's.... we're in the 100s. Hot, hot, hot. Fieldwork in the heat is NOT fun. A pool would be nice.