Sunday, May 25, 2008

Inviting friends over

Some friends are coming over for dinner and a visit tomorrow (well actually by the time I'm writing, later today). I enjoy casual entertaining. I love visiting with my friends, and I love feeding them. I'll even put up with cleaning up afterwards for the pleasure of visiting. I get to show off our remodeling, which is fun, and we can compare experiences with them. Peter is an old friend, and I have really enjoyed reconnecting with him recently, so I'm really looking forward to having him and his wife over for a casual dinner.

I say casual, because while I'm up for planning, I'm not really up for formality. I don't do cocktail parties, or large parties generally speaking. I want a number of people that I can talk to and have meaningful conversation, not just greet and schmooze. I'm also not a big one for dressing up. I know there are people who will have a party just so they can dress up, but I'm not one of those. Once you have been to my house, and know where the kitchen is, you are welcome to help yourself!

On Monday, we'll go over to some other friends' house, and visit them, and have dinner. We might grill, which I love, yum. We'll probably take a prepared dish or two to share. We may very well watch a movie together, and will have an enjoyable time in a fairly calm way. No one drinking too much and acting up, no one having a lot of drama. The kind of evening you want to repeat, and so we probably will a few times through the year.

1 comment:

Fran said...

Those are the best times, when everyone's casual and comfortable, and laughter is the best spice of all. I hope you guys have a great time!