Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Alternatives

So... have you heard enough about how high gas is? I certainly have, and felt it in my wallet as well. Is it time to think of alternatives? Of course, it is waaay past time. And I don't mean just cars with higher gas mileage, although for years I've wondered why the American public bought into the big huge vehicle craze. Actually, in a way I haven't wondered... its advertising, and keeping up with the whoever-lives-next-door, or whatever. I wonder more why we are such sheep, and follow these made-up trends and buy stuff just to buy it. Yes, that's a "we" in there. I may not be as bad as some, but I have my moments of consumerism, too. Baaaaa

So, anyway, I have been thinking about the driving I intend to do over the summer, when it is not a required to go to work thing. Raine will have swimming lessons at a reasonably close pool. We'll plan trips to the library, and I think to some of the local museums. Plan is an operative word, here, though. I don't want to just go jump in the car everyday. We tend to like to go to Sonic when it gets hot. This year, maybe not so much. I'm not intending deprivation, or hardship, just thoughtful resource usage.

I've also been thinking about pedal power. It's been a long time since this fat butt was on anything more pedal-y than an stationary bike. I have neither the balance nor the coordination to have any business on a bicycle, if I fell (which I would) I would break something and the medical bills and recovery would be more than ANY savings on gas. Still, two wheel aren't the only option, so I looked up some three-wheelers, some with baskets in the front or back. I could get to the store and home on one of those, and even carry some groceries. The site that I was looking at also made tourist cycles, for multiple people. This is just the cutest thing, and you could take the whole family, or maybe some friends... http://www.industrialbicycles.com/Surrey_Double_Bench_Limousine.htm

Something for you all to think about.

1 comment:

Fran said...

We've been looking at getting me a scooter, preferably an electric one. And we have two motorcycles that we need to get up and running, get licensed for, and use.

It's going to take planning and re-thinking to get away from being as gas dependent, but I don't see a way around it.