Friday, May 23, 2008

Crafty?

I love crafts, if you can't tell by some of my posts. I like to sew, and have made garments for many people, and more dolls, and I've also worked on place mats, and stuffed bunnies. I've entered a few things into the fairs in Tucson when I lived there, and here as well. I've not run away with the show or anything, but I've gotten a ribbon or two. I'd like to get more into quilting as I think that is a wonderful heirloom/keepsake. I crochet, and have made baby blankets and afghans, dragons and even the old woman who lived in a shoe, not to mention tiny sheep and snowflakes for my Christmas tree. Cross stitch is another of my favorites, although as I get older and so does my eyesight, that may be problematic... I got a lighted magnifier, which I hope will help.

I really like feeling the satisfaction of finishing a project, and having that sense of accomplishment. Sometimes, when I've worked on something for a very long time, I can't tell any more if it looks OK, all I can see are the mistakes. If something is beyond redemption, however, generally it never gets finished. I love to give these crafts as gifts to people who are special to me. I feel like it makes a better gift with my time in it, than I could pay for with money. It also feels so much more personal with that investment. Then, occasionally, I will come across that gift after I have done other things and time has passed... and it feels good when that person might say, remember when you made this for me? Even if they don't say it, I usually think about that time, and it feels good again.

I was talking to Carl today and we ending up brainstorming about a crafting group that would post their crafts online, and kind of build a local community that could also interact more widely online. It sounded great to be able to craft with friends, and share project ideas and all sorts of stuff... I may have to do it! Oh, it may not go anywhere in a wider world, but it would sure make my world (and hopefully theirs too) a brighter place. Interested?

No comments: