Tuesday, May 6, 2008

What will I do...

next year? Teaching is one of those changeable jobs. Even when you don't change professions, you still change jobs. I have taught at 4 different schools (3 districts). I've also taught several different classes, from algebra 1 to computer applications to language arts for 6th through 12th grade. Not all in the same year, mind you, nor all at the same school. A varied career of teaching. I like the school I'm teaching at now, and I enjoy the students I work with. Many of the seniors who will be graduating this year are students I've taught throughout their high school stay. It has been wonderful watching them grow up. Don't get me wrong, I'm not worried that I won't have a job next year, I'm just not sure what to prepare for my students.

The class I'm teaching at the moment, a Tier II intervention class, for those of you who might have an idea what that might mean, may or may not continue next year. If it does continue, it will definitely change some and I may or may not be teaching it. There is a certain attraction to developing a class, and seeing where it will grow. In an intervention class like this one, there is the potential of seeing a student make gains in ways they were unable to in other classes. THAT is an exciting thing. Still, If I'm not the one leading that class, someone as or more capable will be, and that will help the students.

This week, while the principals and the department heads are working on the master schedule for next year, I will probably find out what my next job will be, whether it is a class I've already taught, or something new to me. Either way, there are positive aspects to it. I'm just looking forward to knowing.

1 comment:

Fran said...

I learned that even the yucky classes could be fun. I didn't want the ACES class, but I enjoyed it, ultimately more than Honors and AP.

I can't wait to hear what you'll be doing next year!