Saturday, May 17, 2008

close to midnight

Last night was graduation. Somehow or another, I have followed this class since they were freshmen, and I've taught a good number of them in one English class or another, and some of them in more than one class. I was happy to see them graduate, and wish them well. It made for a later night than usual, though, as I didn't get home until about 9:30. Our principal (district?) gave us a half day off so that we could attend graduation, but I didn't go home in that time. Graduation was held at Don Haskin's Arena in El Paso, and if I had gone home, there I would have stayed. So, we car pooled it to dinner, and then to the ceremony, and had a reasonable nice time of it. Much nicer than we would have if we had each gone on our own.

When I got home, there was an episode of Star Trek beginning! (Remember that box of DVD's?) "Naked Time" no less, so of course I sat down and watched it. And then? Well, I don't rightly remember, but a shower and bed followed soon after with nary a thought for this blog, sorry to say. Bad me.

Still, here I am now, doing my "splaining." We finally got Lord of the Rings going too... I made a character -and elven huntress - but my video card was really not up to the game. Ron did a very nice thing. He went and got a new one for me today, and put it in, and what-do-you-know... the game is pretty fun when you can control where you are going. (For anyone who isn't into these games, when you are lagging you can barely control where your character is going - much less anything else they are doing.) The landscape is pretty, and the travel time between places isn't bad. I think you can customize your outfit, but I haven't really looked at that yet. One of the things that is fun about City of Heroes or Villains is that you can really customize what your character looks like. Then, you can change how it looks as you progress through the game. Most games let you have a limited change of looks as you get new armor, etc or they might have a few clothes you can wear when you are not out adventuring. We played one for a while called Anarchy Online, which had a VERY wide array of clothing. We had a lot of fun with that game interacting with the friends we made, but hunting and questing was not as good as some others.

Fran, Fran, Fran... there is soooo much more to these games than EQ!!! (which I tried but would crash my computer at the time...) All they take are money and time, and we all have plenty of both, right?

1 comment:

Fran said...

I know, I know, nothing but time and money here too.

But I know EQ, and I'm poopy about learning new systems. I've got an unopened copy of Neverwinter Nights that I always meant to try and never did. I don't know if it's even still around.

Ah well, I'm glad you're having fun with LOTR, though!