Thursday, May 15, 2008

inSTALLation

My brother Carl talked us in to trying Lord of the Rings Online. His theory is that while the game is rather frustrating to solo, if you had a group that would go through the quests together, that group could create the story line for themselves. So, since we are handy, and like to do the online gaming, he asked us if we would give it a try. Ron has already tried the game, but the cohesive group idea wasn't part of that experience. I'm new to the game, so I'll have to learn all the game dynamics. I'll still probably push the wrong buttons and get lost in anything underground. Still, Lord of the Rings... I more or less know the story line from the books and movies. It will be interesting to try it out, and I do like the fantasy world MMORPG's.

When we got home from dinner, Ron began the downloading... and now, more than 4 hours later, it is still going on. Please understand that I'm pretty spoiled when it comes to internet access. We have cable access, and quite a network in our house (more computers than people live here). I am definitely NOT used to waiting that long on a download. Do I sound petulant? I feel petulant. I want my computer to be SPEEDY! And while it is working on this download, it is not. I didn't IM my friends, I didn't web surf... much, heck I didn't even play more than 2 or 3 games of solitaire. I watched Ace of Cakes, and looked through a catalogue and read my book (Diane Mott Davidson, not her best work but sufficiently entertaining). I'm posting now, and will leave the installer to chug away at the game while I sleep. I'll let you know how the game is, but that will have to be the post of another day.

1 comment:

Fran said...

It sounds like it must be a beautiful game and wildly interactive if it's taking that long.

I'm missing online gaming a bit. We stopped to save money, and it is a big time-sink. But I still miss it.

And I'd probably go back to EQ simply because I know the world, I have the characters and I don't have to learn new systems and ways of doing things. And I like to solo, which EQ is good for.

Good luck with LOTR, though! I can't wait to hear how it goes!