Tuesday, September 8, 2009

fall creeps in

I was walking Raine to school one recent morning, and I noticed some yellow leaves on the sidewalk. Huh? It's still warm in the mornings. Hot in the afternoons. Well, it is finally September, though. OK, then I looked in the trees along the way. hmmmm no yellow leaves up there. AH wait! there's one. And on the other side of the tree, there's another. More yellow leaves on the ground than in the tree.

I got to thinking (dangerous, yes, I know) about those trees, and wondering if they felt about those first few yellow leaves the way most of us feel about those first few gray hairs. EEEK! get them out! It certainly seemed that way, walking Raine to school, and noticing these things.

Maybe the trees really aren't looking forward to fall this year. Look, my leaves are really all green still. Maybe the heat has lulled them into a false sense of summer security, and they should take better care of themselves - like most people I know should have.

Still, those few yellow leaves are only the beginning. Wonder whether we'll get to watch the leaves change and fall, or will it be - as it often is here in Las Cruces - that most of the leaves will be green until we finally get an overnight freeze, and then they all drop over the course of a day.

1 comment:

Fran said...

I remember those days!

The leaves are starting to turn here. The Almanac says the middle of the country is in for deep cold, while the outer edges will be coldish but not horrible, and really, really wet.

Unless, y'know, they aren't. I wouldn't be surprised at some serious cold all across the country.

And it's coming, because the leaves are turning.