Wednesday, September 16, 2009

then there's the paranormal

Well, we had a fabulous dinner with Fran and Lillian and Dev this evening. The fact that we got to eat it with them was what made it fabulous. We had a great time talking and visiting and laughing about this and that.

Happy Birthday to Carl, and I finally remembered to not just THINK that, but actually tell him. Sigh. He enjoyed wearing his new shirt to dinner. We didn't do a lot of party stuff. OK, we didn't do any party stuff, but we did go get a festive desert after dinner.

We got home in time to just miss tonight's episode of Ghost Hunters, which - fortunately - they replay later in the evening, so I did get to watch it. This is a show about the paranormal that I actually like to watch, and don't even mind if Raine watches. For one thing, its about finding stuff out, not scaring you, so it isn't over the top or creepy. Even when something out of the ordinary happens, the guys on the show are more about how cool it was, than how much it scared them. Personally, I think there are still many things about our world and our universe that our science just isn't up to explaining yet, so paranormal - beyond the normal - exists. Is it ghosts? I dunno. Energy doesn't get destroyed though, it just changes form, so...

I think it is healthy for me, and even more so for Raine, to watch an example of how things that can be in the realm of the unknown can be interesting, and startling, but you don't have to be scared of them. Could I BE a Ghost Hunter??? hmmmm It would certainly be interesting to try it out, but I think I might not be very good at it, being nervous etc. I do enjoy watching them, though.

Of course there has to be some occasional drama. It IS a "reality" show after all. So, occasionally someone runs from a bat, or some other animal, and then they get laughed at by the others. Sometimes, I wish the editors (or whomever is responsible) would leave out the sounds and some of the other effects they add "for dramatic effect" and let us here the sounds that are actually present. Still, a show worth checking out.

1 comment:

Fran said...

It was SO good to see you guys last night, and we'll have fun tonight as well, I just know it!

I think the only reality show I ever watched was BBC's "Castaways" back in. . .2000? Something like that. But it was a real reality show, not somewhat scripted.

See you guys tonight!