Thursday, September 24, 2009

grading

... and grading, and grading. I feel like that's how I've spent my evening. That would be because I've spent the evening grading papers. One of the pitfalls of being a teacher, you know. Grading, grading, grading. Trying to get a timely turn-around, and I'm further behind right now than I would like to be, but not as far as sometimes I have been.

As much as I hate grading, would it be a motivation technique for me to tell my students that? Perhaps they would turn in more of their work just to torture me. While I would grumble at the grading, I would appreciated the grades in the gradebook, and ultimately - I hope - so would they. Somehow I think it would back fire in some way.

I'm always looking for ways to motivate my students, and its a difficult thing for me. I'm not an entertainer, and I'm not a briber, although rewards are not out of the question, I think they should fit the situation. But, I'm not made of money, so expense is definitely a consideration. So, what's inside the box with those parameters? I'm still looking...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

A few rules to live by:

1. Ruin your teachers weekend. Turn in all homework - then they have to grade it.

2. Ruin your teachers vacation. Read and do all assignments - then they have to find something new to teach.

3. Ruin your teachers parent-teacher confrences.
Behave in class - then they have nothing to complain about.

Dina said...

I think I'm going to have to print that up for my classroom. Really.