Friday, December 26, 2008

and so

Life goes on. More or less back to the ordinary, although I'm sure that even those days that are special to us, would be pretty ordinary to many folks. Some people have watched to many soap operas and they think regular, real people should live like that. When there isn't enough drama in their lives, they create some. Its more interesting, I guess.

Personally, I take the Chinese curse "may you live in interesting times," for the curse it is. I get it. I would much rather live the ordinary, daily life. The one with not so much drama. Those people on the TV shows are NOT my friends. My house does not have to look like that, nor do my clothes (or my figure). I have no pretensions that I'm ever going to be there, nor do I strive nor secretly (nor overtly) yearn for that life. I love my ordinary life. I take care of my responsibilities. I choose my reasonable and legal entertainments, and I enjoy them. I strive to be a better person than I was. I try to create instead of destroy. I try to look on the positive side of things.

I know people who live the other way, with the drama and the disasters, and the uncertainty. They don't seem to achieve more than me... at least no more than the population in general. They certainly don't seem happier than I am. Its way too easy to be more attractive than me, so I'm not even worried about that. They may enjoy the interesting times. Me, I try to brace for them. Be prepared and ride them out when necessary. Let them flow around me and move on, so that the ordinary life can return. I will embrace it.

1 comment:

Fran said...

There really is something to be said for the ordinary life, isn't there? Drama just exhausts me, so I have to agree with you completely here. Let's hear it for lives that will NEVER be televised!